45 minutes4 People
If you eat vegan, or have ever thought about eating more plant-based, I’m sure you’ve worried about protein at some point. Good News! Black beans & quinoa pack these burgers full of it. Did you know quinoa is a complete protein, which means it has all nine essential amino acids! YUMMM
Handy tip: always give your quinoa a good rinse before you cook it, it’s natural coating can make it taste a bit bitter.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup water or broth
½ cup uncooked quinoa
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 ½ cups cooked black beans, drained
¾ cup fresh corn kernels
1 cup packed spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup quick oaks (or bread crumbs)
1 large egg, lightly beaten for the toppings
Whole wheat bun
Condiments of choice
1. Rinse quinoa and place in a pot with 1 cup water or broth.
2. Bring to a rolling boil then turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover.
3. Cook for 15 minutes then remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F
5. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil for several minutes until soft and fragrant.
6. Add 1 cup black beans, corn, spinach, salt, paprika, cumin, chili powder and black pepper.
7. Stir until everything is combined and warm.
8. Pulse oats in a food processor several times then transfer oats, bean mixture and quinoa to a large mixing bowl. Taste seasoning to adjust if needed before adding the egg. If the mixture is too mushy add oats.
9. Add in egg and mix with your hands until combined. Shape mixture into four-six patties and transfer to a baking sheet.
10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden, flipping once half way through.
11. Top and dress your burgers as you would like!